- 2 tins of red kidney beans in water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 egg
- 60g (2oz) dried breadcrumbs
- To serve: wholemeal buns and salad
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas mark 6.
- Drain and mash the beans in bowl.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion for 3 minutes. Add the garlic pepper and carrot and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the mashed beans, tomato puree, egg and breadcrumbs and mix well.
- Shape into 8 small or 4 large burgers.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden and crisp.